Dr Jason BROCKWELL
MB ChB (Birm)
FHKAM (Orthopaedic Surgery)
Specialty: Orthopaedics and Traumatology
Subspecialty: Hip & Pelvic Surgery
Dr Jason Brockwell is an orthopaedic surgeon specialising in hip & pelvic surgery; especially hip arthroscopy, Birmingham Hip Resurfacing and pelvic osteotomy.
His main interests in orthopaedics are young adult hip problems, particularly femoro-acetabular-impingement, avascular necrosis of the femoral head, and acetabular dysplasia, all of which can cause hip arthritis. He performs hip operations to try to prevent arthritis, in addition to performing hip joint replacement surgery.
In 1991, Dr Brockwell completed his schooling at the University of Birmingham and came to Hong Kong to start his career at the teaching hospital of Hong Kong University, Queen Mary. In 2002, he left the public sector and entered private practice, performing the first Birmingham Hip Resurfacing (BHR) in Hong Kong in May 2003. Up to 2015, he has successfully performed about 300 BHRs, with patients coming from as far as India and Tibet.
In 2005, Dr Brockwell opened AMS, bringing together a group of doctors from different sub-specialties to form a team that provides high quality and expert care.
Dr Brockwell’s extensive experience in BHR and hip arthroscopy is well recognised and he has been invited to share his experiences in numerous conferences around the world. He also published, presented and taught on a variety of orthopaedic and sports medicine topics, and assumes an editorial role on a number of reputable journals.
Dr Brockwell is the Medical Director of Asia Medical Specialists, and visiting consultant at International SOS Clinic Beijing Managed by Raffles Medical, Shanghai United Family Hospital, Shanghai United Family Pudong Hospital and Guangzhou United Family Hospital.
Recent Publication and Presentations
- 2015 ‘Hip Arthroscopy in China’, ‘Acetabular Dysplasia - A Classification’ & ‘Pelvic Osteotomy’ chapters in ‘Diagnosis and Surgical Treatment of Hip Disease: A Worldwide Perspective on Approaches and Outcomes’ – by Springer International
- 2013 ‘Accurate Hip Resurfacing with Intra-Operative X-ray’ – Presentation Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association; submitted for publication
- 2013 ‘The Dancer’s Hip’ – Presentation International Association for Dance Medicine & Science, Seattle, USA
- 2011 ‘Hip Pathology Presenting As Testicular Pain’ – Poster International Society for Hip Arthroscopy, Paris, France
- 2010 ‘Global Status of Hip Arthroscopy – Far East’ – Presented International Society for Hip Arthroscopy, Cancun, Mexico
Recent Invited Lectures & Teaching
- 2008 – Present Arthroscopy Association of North America ‘Master’s Experience’ Course, Chicago, USA,
- 2015 Instructional Course Lecture, International Society for Hip Arthroscopy, Cambridge, UK
- 2015 2nd Asian Hip Arthroscopy Cadaver Meeting, Taichung, Taiwan
- 2014 HKCOS Specialty Day in Sports Medicine, Hong Kong
- 2014 Myanmar Orthopaedic Association, Nay Pi Taw, Myanmar
- 2014 4th Asia-Pacific Hip Arthroscopy Meeting, Kyushu, Japan
Awards, Honours and Organization
- 2014 – Present Member, Editor Board, Journal of Hip Preservation Surgery
- 2012 – Present Section Editor, Diagnosis and Surgical Treatment of Hip Disease
- 2012 – Present Member, Editor Board, Bone & Joint Journal
- 2011 – Present Associate Editor, Bone & Joint 360
- 2010 – Present Associate Editor, Journal of Orthopaedics and Trauma