Dr James KONG
MB BS (Lond)
Specialty: Plastic Surgery
Subspecialty: Breast, head & neck surgery
Dr James Kong is a plastic surgeon specialising in breast, head & neck surgery. His main clinical interests today are in head & neck (particularly thyroid and salivary glands) and breast surgery, especially in the holistic care of breast cancer patients.
Dr Kong was born in Rangoon. After schooling in Burma and Hong Kong, he attended Barts Hospital in London. He returned to Asia and joined the Chinese University of Hong Kong (Department of Surgery in the Faculty of Medicine) before moving to the public sector. Until the outbreak of SARS in 2003, he was Consultant Surgeon, in charge of the Breast Service and the first Director of Trauma at the Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital. He also established and led a multi-disciplinary breast care team (surgery, radiology, pathology and oncology) at the hospital. Furthermore he helped to establish a breast self-help support group among his patients (the Brightening Association) which is now over 15 years old and has over 600 members.
In addition, in the public hospital arena, Dr Kong has led the implementation of the first public hospital information system in Hong Kong in 1990. During the SARS 2003 outbreak, he volunteered and led the Hong Kong Hospital Authority (HA) team that developed eSARS, the electronic database that assisted in the management of the epidemic outbreak. This project was awarded 1st prize in the Health sector of the Stockholm IT Challenge 2004.
In 2006, Dr Kong returned to his native soil and, as Chief Hospital Administrator, managed the first 21st century hospital in Myanmar and trained a team to run the Pun Hlaing International Hospital. During his tenure there, he also consulted and treated cancer patients with significant delay in presentations.
In 2011, Dr Kong became the Director of Surgery at Asia Medical Specialists, a multi-specialty practice, leading a team of surgeons to provide quality specialist care. He is also a visiting consultant at International SOS Clinic Beijing Managed by Raffles Medical and Guangzhou United Family Hospital.
In his spare time… he sails offshore; enjoys alpine skiing aggressively, driving his 911 sedately & slow-cooking for friends.
Healthcare related Management Appointments (selected)
- 2009- Present Hon Clinical Associate Professor, School of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, HKU
- 2006-2008 Chief Hospital Administrator, Pun Hlaing International Hospital, Yangon, Myanmar
- 2003-2005 Head, Health Informatics, Hospital Authority of Hong Kong
- 1993-2003 Director of Trauma, Pamela Youde Nethersole Hospital (PYNEH), Hong Kong
- 1995-2003 Founder, Head, Multi-disciplinary Breast Services, PYNEH, Hong Kong
Other Appointments (selected)
- 2009- Present International Director, Myanmar, Global Health Management, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- 2011 College of Surgeons International Visitor Leadership Program, US State Department, Breast Cancer Management & Outreach
- 2005-2006 Member, Industry Training Advisory Council (IT & Comms.), HKSAR Government
- 2003-2006 Member, Board of Governors, Matilda International Hospital, Hong Kong
- 1989-1992 AeroMedical Director, Societe Francaise Assistance (SFA), Hong Kong
- 2009 Honorary Life Member, Myanmar Medical Association
- 2004 1st Prize, Stockholm IT Challenge, “Policing Disease”
- 2000 Award: Conquer Cancer with Love, Tai Shan Charitable Association & HKHA
- 1999 Award: Mega Systems, PYNEH, Hospital Authority Hong Kong
- 1977 Hayward Award: St Bartholomew’s Hospital