Dr King-Lok LIU
MB ChB (CUHK)
FHKAM (Orthopaedic Surgery)
Specialty: Orthopaedics and Traumatology
Subspecialty: Children's Orthopaedics & Scoliosis
Dr KL Liu is an orthopaedic surgeon specialising in Children’s Orthopaedics and Scoliosis.
Dr Liu’s treatment philosophy is all about providing the least traumatic, most precise and predictable solutions for the problems that are unique to our next generation.
Dr Liu deals with all aspects of children’s orthopaedics that encompasses a huge group of disorders from birth to adolescence. He had vast experience in managing children’s orthopaedic problems through his work in a tertiary referral centre in Hong Kong and numerous service trips to rural China. He also excels in scoliosis surgery and minimally invasive fracture management.
Dr Liu has been an Honorary Assistant Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic and Traumatology Department of The Chinese University of Hong Kong since 2006. In 2011, Prince of Wales Hospital also appointed Dr Liu as its Orthopaedics and Traumatology Department’s Associate Consultant. In 2014, Dr Liu decided to leave the public sector and joined AMS as one of our Orthopaedic Surgeons dedicated to Children’s Orthopaedics and Scoliosis.
During his service in the hospital, his team introduced complete thoracic pedicle screw instrumentation, minimally invasive spinal surgery and navigation-guided scoliosis surgery. The same team was also actively involved in research on the aetiology and bracing of scoliosis. They constantly explored potential applications of new technologies to improve the safety and precision of complex orthopaedic procedures. Examples include: the introduction of the Taylor Spatial Frame in Hong Kong in 2005; the use of special computer software to assist complex deformity correction; and the use of surgical navigation and 3D-printing to design patient specific instruments.
Dr Liu is also actively involved in voluntary services, taking care of underprivileged children with NGO’s such as Operation Concern and Christian Action.
Dr Liu has researched and published in scoliosis and paediatric orthopaedic related topics. He regularly teaches and shares his clinical experience in professional meetings, training workshops and public lectures.
Dr Liu is based in Hong Kong, and is a visiting consultant at Shanghai United Family Hospital.
Recent Invited Lectures & Teaching
- 2014 Advance MIMIC course: Use of computer technology in limb deformity correction
- 2013 Chinese University of Hong Kong 30th Anniversary Symposium: Computer assisted orthopaedic surgery in scoliosis and limb deformity
- 2013 Management of Hip Dislocation in Cerebral Palsy: Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association
- 2013 Foot & Ankle Problems in Cerebral Palsy: Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association Pre-Congress,
Recent Publications & Presentations
- Tam EM, Yu FW, Hung VW, Liu Z, Liu KL, Ng BK, Lee SK, Qiu Y, Cheng JC and Lam TP. Are volumetric bone mineral density and bone micro-architecture associated with leptin and soluble leptin receptor levels in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis? - A case-control study. PLoS One 2014
- Guo J, Lam TP, Wong MS, Ng BK, Lee KM, Liu KL, Hung LH, Lau AH, Sin SW, Kwok WK, Yu FW, Qiu Y and Cheng JC. A prospective randomized controlled study on the treatment outcome of SpineCor brace versus rigid brace for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis with follow-up according to the SRS standardized criteria. European Spine Journal 2013
- Chan APH, Liu KL, Ng BKW. Occult posterior cruciate ligament avulsion fracture in a paediatric patient: An easily missed diagnosis. HK Medical Journal 2012
- Lee RP, Cheng HS, Liu KL, Ng KW. Outcome analysis of external fixation in the treatment of high energy paediatric tibial shaft fractures. Journal of Japanese Paediatric Orthopaedic Association 2012