Dr Siu-Wah KONG
MB BS (HK)
FHKAM (Orthopaedic Surgery)
Specialty: Orthopaedics and Traumatology
Subspecialty: Foot & Ankle Surgery
Dr SW Kong is an orthopaedic surgeon specialising in innovative minimally invasive foot & ankle procedures, especially ankle arthroscopy, hind foot endoscopy, tendoscopy, Achilles tendon problems, ankle ligament problems, foot & ankle injuries, leg and foot pain in runners, and flat feet.
After Dr Kong completed his schooling in Hong Kong, he started his career at Tuen Mun Hospital and further developed his specialties in the field of Foot & Ankle. He left the public sector and joined AMS to be one of the key sub-specialty surgeons in the area of Foot and Ankle. He was the surgeon that performed Hong Kong’s first case of minimally invasive distal chevron osteotomy (for bunions); endoscopic surgery of bone spur (for resistant heel pain); minimally invasive decompression for hallux rigidus (arthritis of the big toe); and the anti-ROLL technique all-arthroscopic lateral ankle ligament reconstruction (for post sprain ankle instability).
Well recognized for his extensive knowledge in the field of minimal invasive surgery, Dr Kong has been invited to present his experiences at numerous conferences and symposiums over the years. Recently he was a speaker at the annual meeting of the Japanese Society for Surgery of the Foot, where he shared his knowledge on arthroscopic surgery for lateral ligaments of the ankle, arthroscopic treatment of osteochondral lesion talus to his fellow medical practitioners.
Dr Kong has published, presented and taught on a variety of Foot and Ankle surgery topics. He is also very active in the community of Foot and Ankle. He was vice president of Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association (2015-2016) and Hong Kong Foot and Ankle Chapter (2015-2016), and is currently Council Member of these two organisations, as well as the Honorary Secretary of Hong Kong Foot and Ankle Society.
Dr Kong, who is based in Hong Kong, also is a visiting consultant at International SOS Clinic Beijing Managed by Raffles Medical, Shanghai United Family Hospital and Shanghai United Family Pudong Hospital.
Recent Publication and Presentations
- 2014 The 39th Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society for Surgery of the Foot Arthroscopic surgery for lateral ligaments of the ankle
- 2013 Review Article: Consensus in chronic ankle instability: aetiology, assessment, surgical indications and place for arthroscopy. Orthopaedics & Traumatology Surgery & Research (2013) 99S 5411-5419
- 2013 Chinese Journal of Orthopaedics Rainbow Project, Shanghai. The 1st Oriental Foot and Ankle Symposium
- 2012 Minimally Invasive Distal Metatarsal Osteotomy in the Treatment of Primary Metatarsalgia Journal of Orthopaedics, Trauma and Rehabilitation
- 2012 Foot and Ankle Symposium for Young Orthopaedic Surgeons
Common foot and ankle post-surgery/injury rehabilitation management
- 2012 The 32nd Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association Annual Congress
Minimally Invasive Surgery in Treating Hallux Valgus: Regional (Hong Kong) Mid-term Results (Original author, oral presentation by his colleague)
Awards, Honours and Organization
- 2014 – Present Honorary Secretary, Hong Kong Foot and Ankle Society
- 2015 – 2016 Vice President, Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association
- 2015 – 2016 Vice President, Foot and Ankle Chapter, Hong Kong Orthopaedic Association